Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Remembering Dad

Journey: Manhood - This morning's Men's Fraternity: The Quest for Authentic Manhood session finished up with dealing with the Father Wound. This was an easy one. I never had any major issues with my dad. At the worst it was just a communication problem. He was pretty much the Invisible Dad, a man of few words. I know he loved me and was proud of me more by what he did than what he said. I guess what I missed was the time with him. He worked two jobs for most of my childhood and never was one to go out and just throw a ball around.

The most information I ever got about my father was from his sister. She filled me in on some of the holes in his life that he never talked about and that I felt uncomfortable to bring up.

But thanks to God, I had the chance and foresight towards the end of his life to try to establish communication. I made a little progress. At least I got to say what I needed while there was still time. And God allowed me to be there when he passed away. So, I have few to no regrets when it comes to Dad.

Next Tuesday we start on Mother issues. That one is going to be stickier.

No comments: