Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Throwing a "Thanks" Out There

People who really know me know how much I treasure the years I spent in Lakeland, Florida. I was fortunate to attend Florida Southern College between 1983 and 1986, graduating a semester early. And then I was further blessed to be able to work with Robert MacDonald on the Festival of Fine Arts for several years. During that time I made many friendships that I still treasure closely today. And whereas I didn't date a lot of women, the ones I did go out with were truly exceptional.

But there was one young woman who made a big impression on me. But I never got to know her as well as I would have liked. Her name was Darcy Cox. I don't even remember how we met. We didn't get to share much time together, but what struck me was her energy and positive attitude. Add a wonderful smile and laugh to that, and you have someone who just made me feel good to be around her. That kind of "feel good" that made me forget my stress and just escape the world. And she made me laugh, which not many people can do. And then she vanished. I found out later that she transferred out rather suddenly. Luckily, I did get to see her one more time to say goodbye. Sometimes I remember her and hope she's well, that the last 30 years have been good to her. I have so many other friends from that period that have thrived in life, I pray she has too.

Thank you for our time together, Darcy! I hope you are well. Prayers always your way.

Don't overlook people you casually come into contact with. You never know which one of these people will enrich your life. These days I particularly treasure my friendship at WH2140, both staff and other regular diners. There are people in my life that I value that I've never met face-to-face. Among all the crap that is social media, these friends are the positive side of it.

Even though I continue to frequently have nightmares of poisonous people in my past, God has given me many incredible people in my life. I pray that I never take them for granted.

Who do you treasure?


No comments: