Saturday, February 08, 2020

Ten Albums In Ten Days - Day 10

Ten Albums In Ten Days That Changed You 
or hold significant meaning for you. 


Day 10 - “Moondance” - Van Morrison (1970) 

I discovered this album very late in the game. I think it was 1978, again during my first semester at FSU. I was still living with my parents and the drive made it necessary to find places on campus to kill time or study when I had large blocks of time between classes or rehearsals. This was before portable music so I would go to the music library where I could listen to albums while studying. However, at the time, they didn’t have much to choose from for rock music. But I found “Moondance”, and I didn’t seem to have much of a choice anyway. I am so thankful I did. To me this is like a greatest hits album. Every single track is pure aural gold. There is pure soul in both Morrison’s voice as well as the songs. To listen closely one can hear instruments slightly out of tune or not quite playing together. But somehow it all works. 

 Favorite tracks: "Moondance", "And It Stoned Me", "Into the Mystic", and "Brand New Day". 

 This is the last of my 10 albums, but there are so many more. Who knows, maybe I’ll do a “Part 2” sometime. Please comment with your albums that changed you. Questions are also welcome.

No comments: