Tuesday, February 04, 2020

Ten Albums In Ten Days - Day 6

Ten Albums In Ten Days That Changed You 
 or hold significant meaning for you. 


Day 6 - “Born to Run” - Bruce Springsteen (1975) 

Some may be familiar with my story of how this album kept me from “giving up” on pop music in 1975. At a time where most of my access to music was commercial radio, the airwaves at this time were becoming more and more dominated by disco and terrible soft rock and pop. Even Elton John at this point was losing his “edge”. I was getting increasingly discouraged and wanted to, literally, just give up on music. So, talking to God about it, I said, “I’ll make a deal with you. I’m going to turn the radio on, if I like what is playing, I’ll stay with music. If I don’t like it, I’m chucking the radio and giving up.” Yep, I said that. So, with nerves humming, I turned on the radio. Coming through the speakers was the first time I’d ever heard the title cut to Born to Run. It completely grabbed me. After the song finished playing, I said to God, “Ok, I’ll hang on with music.” At least I knew there was something else out there. I just had to find it. 

Favorite tracks: "Born to Run", "Jungleland", and "Night".

No comments: